Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm Too Awesome To Be Modest

I don't intend my hatred for certain things to be a re-occurring theme on this blog, but it appears that it will make more appearances than I originally planned. So the object of my scorn on this blog? Modesty. F modesty, man. Modesty is an invention of those less cool than you are. Imagine this scenario. An Olympic runner #1 (O1) is sitting next to Olympic runner #2 (O2). O1 says to O2, "Hey, I run a 3.5 minute mile!" He makes this statement with pride in all of the hard work he's put in to achieve, frankly, an amazing human feat. O2 says, "Good Lord, that's awesome! I run a 3.5 minute mile as well!" He also makes this statement with a similar motive. These two equals smile and continue talking about the challenges and glories of the road to this feat. This leads to the forging of a lifelong friendship. This is good.

Now imagine O1 sits next to Not A Runner #1 (NR1). O1 says to NR1, "Hey, I run a 3.5 minute mile!" His face is beaming, still aglow from the miraculous human feat he just accomplished. NR1 says, "I don't run at all, and I feel inferior now." This is considered to be bad. If O1 makes a habit of this, he's an immodest person.

My official stance? That's retarded. So, contextually he's a good person and contextually he's a bad person. Forget that. I think the morality falls on the listener. I have strived to rid myself of jealousy so that when I encounter an individual that is better than me at something, and he/she makes a statement like this, I admire them. It's amazing that when you get rid of the jealousy, suddenly you can create infinite amounts of good from meeting an individual that shares his/her achievements with you. You evaluate each one and think, "Why, I'd like that achievement as well," or "I have no desire to have that particular achievement, but good for them." It's sad that if you follow the morality of modesty, you may never know how amazing the people are that surround you. I found out that one of my professors is published on a literary commentary on zombies. O. M. F. G. How long would I have been robbed of this "bragging," if he would've remained modest on the subject.

In short, there are entirely cogent moral systems that include pride and immodesty as their core beliefs. Hellenistic morality had it as one of its core fundamentals. All Grecco-Roman heroic figures were overly-proud, but it inspired competition. Competition bred excellence, and excellence bred an overall better society.

There you have it. My rant on Modesty. So F modesty. I'm too awesome to be modest. I'll bet you are too. And, damnit, I want to know that about you.

4 comments:

  1. That's a tough one for me. I see your point, really I do. I think I've transgressed in saying immodest things before. But, in general, I'm hesitant to challenge anyone about anything. I think I've gotten pretty good at appreciating other's talents and gifts without envying them (usually). But to boast about my accomplishments...not sure I could go there. It is refreshing to me to hear people honestly talking about their accomplishments. I could choose to be offended, or I could choose to appreciate what they've done.

    Did I really say anything in this comment? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've rid yourself of all jealousy. You can now be comfortable around me. Just get used to saying: I admire you Michele.

    I just can't help that I'm so smart, beautiful, talented, sweet, caring, well - wonderful in every way. But you know this.

    To everyone else: It's a Beene thing, you wouldn't understand.

    btw - the title of this blog was an exact quote from my father's (and Jeremiah's father's) mouth. I'm not sure if you know that, J, but it's great to see this Beene gene is dominant in our family. hee hee.

    PS - We Beenes also have an irresistable urge to look at ourselves in anything reflective. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also too smart and awesome to be modest. I will join you in saying, "F modesty!!" especially false modesty. That's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understandable. I do that too, but mostly to make sure I didn't get turned into a vampire without realizing it.

    ReplyDelete